The one-stop shop for successful IoT connectivity implementation
The GSMA, the world's leading umbrella association for telecommunications industry, maintains that in 2025 more than 5 thousand new devices will be connected to the internet – every minute. The same year, the number of connected devices is expected to exceed 25 billion. We all know there are several ways to connect devices wirelessly, for example, via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. But the real boom and the future lies in IoT connectivity via cellular communications. This approach has undisputed benefits. It is location independent, flexible, agile, and of course, it has a greater range and covers wide areas.
With the advent of 5G, a new era has started that will lead to unprecedented speeds and data rates. This is especially true for the Internet of Things. 5G technology will further push development in cellular communications. IoT supports digital transformation and the growth of new business models. By using cellular networks, IoT applications facilitate new revenue-generating use cases. The market for IoT is diversifying and expanding; promising technologies are evolving. Cellular connectivity can address the massive IoT market as well as the needs for specific requirements such as security, reliability, bandwidth, or latency to support unique and demanding IoT projects.
With our leading IoT connectivity solutions, we ensure global connectivity and efficient lifecycle management of IoT applications. Our experienced global teams are the best partner for your business. We empower you to overcome the three key IoT challenges: connectivity, secure transmission, and data analytics. Moreover, we provide security for data and devices so that you don't have to reinvent the wheel and can focus on your core activities.
With us, you can master the current and future IoT connectivity challenges
Theoretically, you can add mobile connectivity to any IoT device. Besides a cellular modem, you simply need a SIM. But removable or plugin SIMs are not ideal, as they need to fit to device size or design. With traditional SIM cards, you have to check resistance against environmental influences such as temperature, vibration, and humidity. This is why soldered SIMs – typically in a chip or SMD form factor – have become the accepted norm. Soldered SIMs are not easily replaceable, however.
Once you have solved hardware configuration issues, other operational questions arise. Which network operator should you select? Which MNO's SIM should be used? How can you handle the logistics for IoT devices which are sold globally? Do you need to stock a variety of SIMs for local MNOs? Can you exchange the MNO (SIM) during the device lifetime when offerings become cheaper, the services better, or if the current provider shuts down the business? How do you remain flexible and future-proof for connectivity during the device lifetime?
Because of our unparalleled experience, we not only know the challenges, but also have the answers. Our approach allows a flexible and dynamic user journey and ensures that your existing business infrastructure and processes can still be used.
For Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) and Cellular NB-IoT networks, we offer a dedicated SIM. It is ideal to support the low power requirements of these networks. Additionally, it enables an end-to-end security solution, which secures data from the IoT end point, through the network onto the application server/cloud.
Our portfolio offers the most modern solution that keep you future proof and flexible – even for requirements and opportunities that may not even be on your radar today. Our solution includes eSIM management services, eUICC hardware, eSIM profiles, the required mobile-device software, and the right partners. This provides flexibility and allows you to remotely manage the IoT connectivity of the device while it’s on the field, without having to exchange SIM cards, for example.
eSIM is key for IoT
We connect the IoT and provide security for data and devices, and here’s how:
- A key element to the success of 5G-driven IoT is the concept of the eSIM. This technology goes above and beyond the evolution of SIM cards from pluggable to embedded; it is one of the developments that will have a major impact on IoT deployment, propelling its acceptance significantly.
- Our focal point is on special SIM modules, the embedded universal integrated circuit card, or eUICCs. These are soldered onto the devices, which receive the network operator-specific data via a backend connection. The beauty of eUICCs is that they no longer require a physical SIM change or card holder. Our efficient eSIM management enables the IoT service provider or IoT device vendor to flexibly load the appropriate MNO subscription remotely at any time. This can already be done in the factory, or also later in the field when the IoT device is deployed.
- Depending on the kind of IoT device you use or produce, the right concept is essential. And we have it for you. The choices available include: The classic eUICC – which is based on the GSMA standard – as a solderable SIM component, or an integrated SIM (iUICC), in which the SIM functionality is part of the application processor of the IoT device, eliminating the need for a separate chip. A further option is the nuSIM: a variant optimized for narrowband IoT (NB-IoT) in which the SIM function is integrated in the device processor to save space.
We offer a future-proof solution to manage IoT connectivity flexibly during the entire device lifetime:
- Our eSIM management solution allows you to provision the required SIM digitally over the air. No need to insert the SIM or change the IoT device by hand
- We provide the required SIM hardware and the eUICCs in various form factors, which allows you to manage the SIMs remotely – including the provisioning, changing, and deleting of MNO-specific SIM credentials
- Our IoT connectivity and security solutions are based on highly secure smartcard hardware that enables reliable access to cellular networks and enhanced security for the IoT across the complete device lifecycle
- We offer a full range of IoT SIMs, comprising both enhanced and conventional SIM cards, offering extended lifespan and reinforced resistance to environmental factors
- eSIMs come in three primary hardware-quality grades to satisfy a range of device and use-case requirements. We offer them all; consumer grade, enterprise or industrial grade as well as automotive grade.
- We provide SIMs that no longer require a discrete SIM hardware. They are integrated into the device's processor – the iUICCs, a trusted environment within the system on a chip
- We offer a solution for global connectivity with multicarrier coverage with a single SIM/eSIM.
iUICC – the next generation of SIM solution technology
iUICC is the next step of SIM card technology. Smaller, lighter, and with more flexibility and sustainability, it has the potential to revolutionize the IoT industry forever.
Private LTE and 5G offer a complete new approach to IoT networks. They now can be independent of the typical MNO network, meaning that companies and organizations can set up their own local cellular network infrastructure. These smaller and self-contained local networks for the IoT come with a range of benefits: flexibility, increased bandwidth and reduced latency, as well as improved security and reliability.
From sensor to enterprise IoT platforms: we connect things
We offer secure, robust solutions for any enterprise that operates networked devices in the world of the IoT. G+D solutions connect, manage, and secure the IoT.
Manage the IoT
To enable secure device management and over-the-air updates, you need a reliable enterprise infrastructure.
Secure the IoT
Security is key for industrial-, enterprise-, automotive- and many consumer IoT applications. Our solutions enable various use-cases and provide the highest level of security and trust.
Take the lead in the 5G-race
5G will enable many IoT applications making it possible to manage entire factories – including the supply and distribution chains – online. 5G based private and campus networks as well enable several Industry 4.0 use cases. G+D will be a key enabler in all of these scenarios.
eSIM management solutions
Trust the market leader. Securely manage the lifecycle of all embedded-SIM devices with our proven, award-winning, future-proof eSIM management solutions. With our solutions, you can address consumer, enterprise, and IoT markets.
More insights into IoT connectivity
Next stop: 5G and IoT opportunity
The potential of 5G networks and IoT in transport to revolutionize transportation depends on authorities seizing opportunities to improve services and reduce costs.
Connected IoT cars
As vehicles become increasingly integrated and autonomous, eSIMs are ushering in a future of secure, always-on connectivity in IoT cars.
See how G+D is collaborating with MNOs to successfully create secure eSIM solutions for future-proofed connectivity.