The ecofriendly SIM Card
As the world’s environmental concerns become more pressing, more and more customers expect the companies that they buy from to have green products. These expectations apply to mobile network operators (MNOs) as much as to any other company. According to the Boston Consulting Group, the telecommunications industry contributes 3–4% of global carbon emissions, approximately double the footprint of the aviation sector. Furthermore, increasing demands for data and connectivity mean that, without action, this number will grow and could rise to as much as 14% by 2040.
The expectations consumers have of telecommunications companies, as a prominent sector, to act on climate issues is immense. With a combined market value of $1.75 trillion and customers in every country and every continent on the planet, the stakes could not be higher. In this context, choosing partners who can help deliver a reduced carbon footprint is vital for MNOs.
SIM cards, despite their small size, are a major source of waste. They are usually delivered as part of a credit-card-sized piece of plastic no matter what the actual size of the chip is. To put this into context, the Trusted Connectivity Alliance (TCA) reported that 4.35 billion SIM cards were shipped worldwide in 2021, weighing 18,000 tons and estimated to be responsible for more than 560,000 tons of CO₂ emissions. Each individual SIM card may seem small and insignificant, but their impact when added together is enormous.
Furthermore, demand for SIMs will increase in the future, as it will come not only from their use in phones, tablets, and laptops, but also from being embedded in many more everyday appliances as part of the internet of things. With increasing demand predicted, continuing to produce SIMs from plastic and delivering these tiny chips in credit-card-sized holders is not a sustainable option. G+D has recognized this and invested in developing a green alternative that meets the needs of MNOs who are looking to reduce their carbon footprint.
Eco SIM: the sustainable SIM card
G+D is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of SIM cards. That’s why at G+D we take our responsibilities to our customers and to the planet very seriously. We are committed to sustainable business practices and have been working on SIM products that are less resource-intensive and make more use of environmentally friendly solutions. Our new green SIM card concept spans the entire life cycle of the SIM and makes use of advances in design, manufacturing, and technology to reduce every SIM’s carbon footprint. Our Eco Card is a SIM card body made from recycled PVC, which is visually indistinguishable from standard card holders. We also offer the Eco Card in Half and Quad SIM card sizes, which further cuts the amount of plastic used by 50% and 75% respectively, compared with a standard format. The Eco Card provides our customers with an important new way to meet their business goals and minimize their carbon footprint.
What is our solution?
- We reduce the size of the SIM card body to cut down on the use of materials. Our Half SIM and Quad SIM cards reduce the amount of plastic used by 50% and 75% respectively compared with a standard card format (ID-1).
- The Eco Card is a SIM card body made of recycled PVC plastic, which is visually indistinguishable from standard SIM card holders.
- The use of recycled PVC reduces the use of resources and is environmentally friendly without compromising on quality.
- The card is compliant with WEEE, RoHS/REACH, and Prop 65 standards, to name just a few.
What are the advantages of the Eco Card?
- Better use of materials: the smaller formats mean that more SIMs can be made with less material.
- Reduced CO₂ emissions: the use of recycled PVC for manufacture is better for the environment than using normal plastics.
- Reduced waste: the smaller SIM card body format means that less waste is created when the SIM is “popped out” and used.
- Reduced logistical costs and impact: smaller SIM card body are lighter and smaller and thus cheaper to transport. This also means that they also generate fewer transportation emissions.
Related products & solutions
More insights into sustainability
The greenest SIM is the eSIM
There are significant environmental benefits in using an eSIM. CO₂ output is greatly reduced – and it is worth considering the extent of this reduction. Not only is plastic waste minimized if the SIM card goes fully digital, but also the entire production process, from plastic sourcing to distribution, is eliminated.
G+D is aware of its corporate responsibility and actively promotes environmentally and socially sustainable development. We want to further intensify our commitment and transform our company step by step.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about our end-to-end business solutions or about our company, seek expert advice, or want to give us your feedback, our team is here to support you, anytime.