Banknote Paper – Long-Lasting, for Secure and Attractive Banknotes
Banknote longevity is affected by conditions in circulation, including soiling, heat, moisture, and mechanical stress. We offer scalable substrate solutions that meet the diverse requirements of each country. We use proven processes to develop optimized substrates that are dirt-repellent, durable, and at the same time compatible with all security features, so banknotes are secure, fit and in circulation for longer.
We have been producing banknotes for over 165 years, and we use this experience to develop scalable banknote substrates that meet exacting requirements. Our scalable portfolio offers appropriate substrates for low (market notes), medium (transaction notes) and high nominal values (saving notes) within a series. These substrates strengthen banknotes against daily stresses, and extend their time in circulation. For currencies that circulate under extreme climatic conditions, our banknote paper is treated with lacquers or plastic lamination, making it durable – dirt, water, and mechanical stress are minimised. This is particularly important, for lower denominations that are frequently handled and subject to a greater risk of soiling. We therefore support central banks in implementing their Clean Note Policy.
Whichever substrate is used, the banknote paper itself ensures reliable counterfeit protection. Visible and hidden security features are part of the package . These are embedded into the substrate, attached to it, or printed on it. Our substrates are compatible with all security features, so central banks choose, based on a modular system of security elements, depending on the counterfeit risk of a note.
Banknote substrates at a glance
- Secure and publically acceptable
- Long-lasting and functional solutions
- Scalable product range with uniform appearance and identical tactile properties in all substrate versions
- Reliable machine processing in banknote processing systems
Cotton Banknote Paper
The majority of banknotes globally are made from traditional cotton paper. Central banks have relied on the proven properties of cotton for decades. The look, specific tactile feel, and “sound” of new, crisp notes is trusted. In addition, cotton paper is ideal for the integration of tested and innovative security features, while watermarks, security threads and foils ensure that the notes’ value is protected.
- Banknote paper made from cotton is cost-effective and presents the foundation for high print quality and production efficiency.
- Visible and invisible security features can be embedded for optimum counterfeit protection.
- Cotton banknotes have a familiar look and feel.
- Cotton banknotes are well-suited for high denomination savings notes.
LongLife Banknote Paper
LongLife banknote paper increases the circulation life of banknotes. This substrate’s core is cotton paper, and it is coated with a special lacquer, applied in a microscopically thin layer. This repels dirt and moisture, extending the life of the banknotes in circulation, particularly in tropical climates. This solution is especially suitable for nominal values subject to heavy use. In addition, the LongLife banknote paper look and feel is almost indistinguishable from regular cotton banknotes. This ensures public acceptance with no costly publicity campaign.
- The special coating provides effective protection against soiling and humidity.
- Circulation life is extended by up to 200% making them cost effective.
- LongLife banknote paper provides a high barrier to counterfeits due to tamper-proof embedded security features.
- The banknote has the identical printing process to cotton paper.
- It is very well-suited to frequently used mid-range transaction notes.
TOPnote: The Clean Solution
TOPnote is our best protection against dirt. This special lacquer for cotton and LongLife banknote paper offers a cost-effective alternative to polymer substrates. The printing process requires only minimal adjustments in switching from cotton. Processing machines and cash dispensers can handle the special finish without any adaptation. Printed and print-free surfaces are equally protected against dirt.
Hybrid Banknote Paper
Hybrid banknotes are an innovation in banknote technology and offer the best of both worlds. They are based on a cotton substrate which is covered with polyester foils on both sides, protecting the substrate. This makes Hybrid banknote paper durable, robust and highly resistant to soiling. In addition, banknotes featuring a Hybrid substrate feel familiar, just like banknotes made from cotton paper, while still offering the high protection against counterfeiting. Hybrid banknotes are strongly recommended for countries with challenging climatic conditions.
- Extremely robust and durable, even under extreme conditions
- Excellent counterfeit protection, as all state-of-the-art security features can be integrated
- Can be printed as per cotton banknote paper
- The familiar trusted feel of cotton banknotes
- Well-suited for market notes with a low value in challenging circulation conditions.
G+D Currency Technology Hybrid banknotes offer another special feature: The exclusive Lasercut security element can be incorporated directly into the cotton paper using laser perforation, and it is stabilized and protected by the polyester foil. Lasercut makes innovative and individual designs possible, on banknotes of outstanding durability.
Giesecke+Devrient Currency Technology GmbH
+49 89 4119-0
Thank you for your message!
We will be in touch shortly.
To make sure we can contact you, we just sent you a confirmation email to the address you provided. Should you not receive anything, please checkout your spam-folder and make sure you entered your email address correctly.