These 5 features are essential to a Covid-19 vaccination certificate
The introduction of the Covid-19 vaccines across the globe has prompted discussions on the need for vaccination documentation. Veridos, a world-leading provider of integrated identity solutions, explains the five prerequisites of a secure and effective vaccination certificate.
The ongoing pandemic has created a need for a Covid-19 vaccination certificate that enables everyday activities such as visiting relatives in nursing homes or attending concerts, or even international travel, without the risk of further spreading the virus. Consequently, there is a need for a universally applicable solution that takes already existing (identification) processes of each scenario into account and links them securely and efficiently. At the same time, issuer, citizens, and verification personnel must trust the solution and find it easy to use. Only then can the widespread adoption of such a certificate be accomplished. Veridos lists the five key points in achieving this:
- Keeping data to a minimum: A secure vaccination certificate must minimize the data included about an individual, using only biographical information based on the specifications of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Commission. Issuers should ensure that certificates are internationally comparable without storing any unnecessary information.
- Inclusive formats: Availability of vaccination certificates must be accessible to all citizens regardless of their access to technology, meaning citizens should have the option of a digital or physical hard-copy certificate.
- Remote verification: Equally as essential is a secure, contactless remote verification process. Through the use of smartphones or tablets as verification devices, certifications can be verified at a safe distance, using technology already widely available.
- Using existing public key infrastructures (PKI): In order to streamline deployment and maintain security standards, governments should definitely consider putting existing PKIs to use in the creation of the certificates, making international operability quick and easy to implement.
- Implementing a nationwide, standardized solution: Whether at vaccination and testing centers or at local doctors’ offices, care should be taken to avoid any additional administrative burden on healthcare workers. While IT systems may vary between certification issuing sites, the integration of a single solution will create consistency and efficiency across the board.
“With the growing availability of Covid-19 vaccinations, the introduction of a vaccination certificate is an essential step in the return to normal life,” says Marc-Julian Siewert, COO at Veridos. “In order to enable fast implementation, existing international standards and infrastructures should be utilized. An inclusive, secure platform such as the VeriGO® TrueSeal solution is the perfect way to ensure the widespread adoption of an internationally-recognized certificate.”
On March 30 2021, Veridos experts will explain how to keep the world moving with eGovernment solutions at the Digital Document Security conference. More information about the speech can be obtained here.
Veridos is a world-leading provider of integrated identity solutions. Governments and public authorities in more than 100 countries trust the company’s uniquely comprehensive product portfolio. The company creates end-to-end solutions and services perfectly tailored to meet every government identity need. These range from paper to security printing, electrical chip components, enrollment, identity management systems, personalization and issuance, mobile ID solutions, and border control solutions including eGates. Governments can acquire best-in-class passports, ID cards, driver’s licenses, and more, or even the facilities to manufacture their own.
Learn more about Veridos at www.veridos.com.
Christoph Lang, Press Officer
+49 89 4119-782164