Banknote Paper – Long-Lasting, for Secure and Attractive Banknotes
Banknote longevity is affected by conditions in circulation, including soiling, heat, moisture, and mechanical stress. We offer scalable substrate solutions that meet the diverse requirements of each country. We use proven processes to develop optimized substrates that are dirt-repellent, durable, and at the same time compatible with all security features, so banknotes are secure, fit and in circulation for longer.
We have been producing banknotes for over 165 years, and we use this experience to develop scalable banknote substrates that meet exacting requirements. Our scalable portfolio offers appropriate substrates for low (market notes), medium (transaction notes) and high nominal values (saving notes) within a series. These substrates strengthen banknotes against daily stresses, and extend their time in circulation. For currencies that circulate under extreme climatic conditions, our banknote paper is treated with lacquers or plastic lamination, making it durable – dirt, water, and mechanical stress are minimised. This is particularly important, for lower denominations that are frequently handled and subject to a greater risk of soiling. We therefore support central banks in implementing their Clean Note Policy.
Whichever substrate is used, the banknote paper itself ensures reliable counterfeit protection. Visible and hidden security features are part of the package . These are embedded into the substrate, attached to it, or printed on it. Our substrates are compatible with all security features, so central banks choose, based on a modular system of security elements, depending on the counterfeit risk of a note.
Banknote substrates at a glance
- Secure and publically acceptable
- Scalable product range with uniform appearance and identical tactile properties in all substrate versions
- Long-lasting and functional solutions
- Reliable machine processing in banknote processing systems
Hybrid ADDvance® differs from Hybrid™ in that it allows customers to secure their whole series from low to high denominations with the addition of highly sophisticated stripes and patches including windows – along with all well-known paper-based security features. As an advanced new substrate platform, Hybrid ADDvance® ensures that banknotes have a long circulation life – even in tropical and other difficult conditions – while remaining attractive and highly secure.
- Whole range of security features across your entire banknote series available
- Security features stay attractive for a very long time
- Security feature durability for all climates
- Eye-catching patches in vibrant colors possible
- Simple integration of intelligent windows
- Homogeneity in feel and appearance across the entire series
- Recognized cotton-like touch and feel
- High counterfeit protection due to substrate-embedded security technology protected by thin layers on both sides of the banknote
- Optimum machine readability and machine processing for all denominations
Hybrid™ Banknote Paper
Hybrid™ banknotes are an innovation in banknote technology and offer the best of both worlds. They are based on a cotton substrate which is covered with polyester foils on both sides, protecting the substrate. This makes Hybrid™ banknote paper durable, robust and highly resistant to soiling. In addition, banknotes featuring a Hybrid™ substrate feel familiar, just like banknotes made from cotton paper, while still offering the high protection against counterfeiting. Hybrid™ banknotes are strongly recommended for countries with challenging climatic conditions.
- Extremely robust and durable, even under extreme conditions
- Excellent counterfeit protection, as all state-of-the-art security features can be integrated
- Can be printed as per cotton banknote paper
- The familiar trusted feel of cotton banknotes
- Well-suited for market notes with a low value in challenging circulation condition
LongLife™ Durable Paper
LongLife™ banknote paper increases the circulation life of banknotes. This substrate’s core is cotton paper, and it is coated with a special lacquer, applied in a microscopically thin layer. This repels dirt and moisture, extending the life of the banknotes in circulation, particularly in tropical climates. This solution is especially suitable for nominal values subject to heavy use. In addition, the LongLife™ banknote paper look and feel is almost indistinguishable from regular cotton banknotes. This ensures public acceptance with no costly publicity campaign.
- The special coating provides effective protection against soiling and humidity.
- Circulation life is extended by up to 200% making them cost effective.
- The banknote has the identical printing process to cotton paper.
- LongLife™™ banknote paper provides a high barrier to counterfeits due to tamper-proof embedded security features.
- It is very well-suited to frequently used mid-range transaction notes.
Cotton Banknote Paper
The majority of banknotes globally are made from traditional cotton paper. Central banks have relied on the proven properties of cotton for decades. The look, specific tactile feel, and “sound” of new, crisp notes is trusted. In addition, cotton paper is ideal for the integration of tested and innovative security features, while watermarks, security threads and foils ensure that the notes’ value is protected.
- Banknote paper made from cotton is cost-effective and presents the foundation for high print quality and production efficiency.
- Visible and invisible security features can be embedded for optimum counterfeit protection.
- Cotton banknotes have a familiar look and feel.
- Cotton banknotes are well-suited for high denomination savings notes.