iSIM – the Integrated SIM is the future of connectivity
The iSIM, also known as integrated Universal Integrated Circuit Card (iUICC), is the next phase of SIM solution technology. Smaller, cost-efficient, and with more flexibility and sustainability than earlier SIM generations, it has the potential to revolutionize the market for connected IoT devices and technology. Regardless of this forecast, established solutions such as SIM and eSIM will still exist in parallel. As a trusted partner in the IoT for over 20 years, G+D is working to advance this technology.
Unlike removable SIM cards, which are set into plastic housings, or eSIMs, which are soldered into the device, an iUICC is a tamper-resistant element (TRE) within a system-on-a-chip (SoC). Also known as an Integrated SIM (iSIM), iUICC is an isolated hardware component combined with a baseband chipset to create a single connectivity module. iUICC is the latest stage of the SIM evolution, and it offers a tremendous amount of potential and advantages for the IoT industry. Due to its small footprint and the low power requirements, it is a promising all-in-one connectivity solution, especially for the Narrowband Internet of Things (NB-IoT).
G+D is uniquely and exceptionally equipped to help users achieve all of this and implement iUICC to improve their devices, services, and operations. As the company that delivered the world’s first SIM cards, in 1991, G+D is excited to continue the SIM’s legacy and usability through new, innovative technology and cost-effective, sustainable strategies.
SIM evolution towards an all-in-one connectivity solution
Introducing the world's first secure iSIM
Facts and features of the Integrated SIM
For over 20 years, G+D has been a trusted provider to IoT manufacturers, who rely on our security competence. To continue the iUICC’s progress and worldwide commercial success, G+D believes that standardization is the key, and is working diligently towards that goal. Below, we cover some basic facts and features to help you get more acquainted with the technology and its development.
- The integration of the SIM into the baseband chipset paves the way for the next generation of secure IoT connectivity
- As an Integrated SIM, the iUICC continues the success of SIM and eSIM in authenticating mobile networks without reducing security
- The iSIM ensures secure data processing while providing interoperability within the eSIM ecosystem
- For the foreseeable future, SIM, eSIM, and Integrated SIM will coexist because they provide similar but also differing characteristics targeting varying areas of the IoT
- The iSIM can be easily integrated into IoT solutions and enables secure device management during the entire lifecycle
- Since 2021 the iUICC is commercially available and has been proven in field
Benefits of iSIM at a glance
The iUICC has several features that help make it a more robust, secure phase of SIM card technology. These features have been designed by industry experts to meet agreed-upon, approved specifications, standards, and processes. As the latest phase of the SIM evolution, the iUICC offers several advantages and opportunities:
- Reduced footprint: embedded into the device’s hardware, it allows for smaller, lighter devices that are less expensive to produce
- Power optimization: lower power requirements means that batteries will last longer and IoT devices will benefit from more efficiency
- More efficient production: integrating the iUICC as part of the baseband module can streamline production and operation processes
- Security: Powered by G+D’s trusted SIM OS, the isolated, tamper-resistant hardware is as secure as other high-end SIM solutions
- Reduced cost and time to market: a generic and easy-to-integrate solution for all IoT verticals, as well as a significantly smaller chip that saves space, time, and materials
- Sustainability: no extra housing or plastic, reduced power consumption and a much smaller size makes this the greenest SIM solution
Best practice: The Encore Wireless GPS device from PassTime
The small size, optimized power consumption, and efficient production of IoT devices are key characteristics of our joint iSIM with Sony Semiconductor Israel. These factors played a crucial role in PassTime's decision to select the iSIM for their latest new battery-powered Encore GPS solutions.
PassTime's first fully wireless and self-powered tracking solution brings considerable advantages to sectors that have never had the capability to closely monitor their assets or inventory.
The suite of wireless GPS solutions offered by Encore is designed to cater to a diverse range of industries:
- BHPH dealers
- Auto finance companies
- Credit unions
- Franchise and powersport dealers
- Trailer and RV dealers
Empowering smart water meters with the Integrated SIM
G+D and Sony Semiconductor Israel have deployed the world's first commercial iUICC. Among other applications, they are used in LG U+ smart water meters. This is a very good example where the small footprint and the low power consumption of the iSIM comes into play.
The Integrated SIM is reality
iUICC is a very exciting technology with massive amounts of potential, especially for the IoT. We pride ourselves on being at the forefront when it comes to bringing this to market together with our industrial partners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Everything you wanted to know about the Integrated SIM
The Integrated SIM has several advantages: a small footprint, low power consumption and cost efficiency. Further, it allows for process optimization for IoT device manufacturers and more.
Understand what iSIM is about – read our FAQ now.
When it comes to bringing iUICC to market, we and our industrial partners are at the forefront together. In addition to enabling a complete eSIM solution, our expertise and market position means we’re ideally situated to help prepare for the future of connectivity, and iUICC is a vital part of that conversation. G+D is committed to the secure personalization of iUICC in IoT devices. We are working with multiple technology partners to commercialize this new SIM solution, and we also have several initiatives to define life cycle management for integrated solutions, concerning both operating systems and profile updates. These profiles are being developed in collaboration with trusted standards organizations such as ETSI, Trusted Connectivity Alliance, and GlobalPlatform. We have already begun the first international and commercial trials, cooperating with big players. We are committed to the continual development and implementation of this SIM evolution, to better serve our customers, our industries, and the environment.
More insights into iUICC
From sensor to enterprise IoT platforms: we connect things
We offer secure, robust solutions for any enterprise that operates networked devices in the world of the IoT. G+D solutions connect, manage, and secure the IoT.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about our end-to-end business solutions or about our company, seek expert advice, or want to give us your feedback, our team is here to support you, anytime.